May 23, 2018 | Lex Daddio
Hi! So this past weekend, we decided to become members of Costco. Both our parents are, and they always have so many great items, and we figured it might be more convenient for a lot of reasons, especially with our baby boy coming VERY SOON!
I’m going to start the post with everything we actually bought, and then the rest will be things we already use or new products/options that we’re probably going to buy at some point. We have a bunch of pantry items at home so we didn’t need everything this time around.
Also, just to note, I will still get the majority of my produce and meats from Whole Foods, the farmers market, other places, but I love that Costco has some great options and we’ll be utilizing them sometimes as well. We grocery shop all over the place. I also learned that different Costco’s offer different options so this is everything we’ve found out ours! Other locations have some of the same options and sometimes more, but hopefully this will help you in some way! For anyone in Richmond, these are all products from the Midlothian location. We haven’t been to the West Broad location, but we’ll hit that one next time for sure!
Okay, let’s get started!
1. Organic Seaweed Snacks – These are for Thomas. I’m not really a seaweed snack fan, but he LOVES them so these are perfect for him to snack on! It’s an 10 pack for $10.99.
2. RXbars – I love these bars & they’re especially convenient while I’m trying to get in so many dates! Also, my favorite flavors are chocolate sea salt, peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter, and maple sea salt. The pack includes 6 chocolate sea salt & 6 chocolate peanut butter, so definitely a win. It’s $20.79.
3. Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Crackers – These crackers are made with sesame, flax, quinoa, amaranth, millet & chia. They’re super crunchy & I love them with cheese. The box includes 2 14-oz bags for $12.19.
4. Della Organic Brown Rice – This is the biggest bag of rice that I’ve ever seen, but we eat a lot of rice. We usually rotate between jasmine, basmati, and brown. Figured this one would be convenient and it cooks in 20 min, which is much faster than usual brown rice. The bag is 12 lbs for $16.99.
5. Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts – I love sprinkling hemp hearts on things (smoothies, toast, etc) for some extra nutrients, but I haven’t bought them in forever. Thought it would be fun to incorporate them again. Also, if you ever run out of nut milk, you can blend 1/4 cup hemp hearts with 16oz water and you have hemp milk! The bag is 24 oz for $17.09.
6. Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce – Hands down our favorite marinara sauce that we use for everything. It’s so good and the only one we use (unless we have some homemade). The bottle is 40oz for $9.79.
7. Organic Cafe Cubano Dark Roast Coffee Beans – We usually buy a giant bag of local coffee, but I’m one who likes to change it up so I thought why not try something new? I know we’re going to need all the coffee when baby arrives. This bag is 2lbs for $17.09.
8. Organic Frozen Berries – I love frozen berries in smoothies so a big bag of these are perfect. Especially for summer when I’m craving smoothies more often. The bag is 3lb for $10.89.
9. Organic Jack’s Cantina Salsa – Thomas’ FAV kind of salsa is cantina style. We found this giant jar of salsa and we’re so excited because we’ve been looking for a good one and it’s definitely going to last us a LONG time. The jars at 48oz for $7.99.
10. Hannah Classic Organic Hummus – I LOVE this hummus. It’s so creamy, thick, and the flavor is on point. I don’t know how they get the texture so perfect but I’m into it. The ingredients are also SO simple so I love that too. The jar is 32 oz for $5.99.
11. Basil Pesto – Would I prefer to make my own pesto? Yes. Is there other ones out there with less ingredients? Yes. But that being said, this one tastes freaking delicious. It may not be organic, but it’s amazing. I could put it on EVERYTHING. It’s 22 oz for $9.79.
12. Kingdom Organic Aged Cheddar – Haven’t tried this one yet, but I LOVE cheddar cheese. Probably one of my favorite things ever, and I don’t think you can go wrong. 1 lb of cheese for $7.99.
13. Organic Ground Turkey – We use ground turkey for a lot of things and some ideas that we’re thinking of are turkey meatballs, korean turkey tacos, turkey burgers, etc. So many options and it comes with 3 1lb packages.
14. Organic Chicken Breasts / Chicken Thighs / Chicken Drumsticks – They have all the chicken cut options and whole chickens as well! Again, 3 packages per cut! We got the chicken breasts and there’s about 5.12 lbs for $31.18.
15. Organic Ground Beef – Again, something we use all the time. We’re thinking meatballs, burgers/ sliders, meat sauce for pasta, taco meat, etc. So many fun things! It comes with 3 packages of about 1.33lbs of beef for $24.39.
16. Organic Power Greens – Love these and the package is HUGE. It’s a blend of kale, spinach, and swiss chard. I never eat swiss chard and forget about kale a lot so it’s good to get a variety! It’s 1.5 lbs for $7.99.
17. Organic Mediterranean Salad Kit – I love all things mediterranean always! This is super convenient with lots of yummy veggies too. I tried the dressing and personally, it’s too sweet for me. Next time, we’ll do our own greek dressing or just balsamic and olive oil. The mix is 24.03 oz for $7.39.
18. Natural Delights Medjool Dates – As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been eating 6 dates a day to help with labor. Since I’m eating so many it was VERY worth me getting this giant things of dates! They aren’t as fresh and juicy/ sweet as the ones from Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s, but they’re still good. These ones would be best in recipes in my opinion! It’s 2lbs for $10.99.
19. Organic Green Beans – We LOVE green beans and I’ve recently loved roasted green beans more than ever. Just with olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. MY JAM. THe bag is 2lbs for $7.39.
20. Honest Shampoo & Body Wash – Picked this up for T to try! Both bottles are 17 fl oz and $18.29 total for both.
What we didn’t buy this time around, but will in the future or these are products we already use!
21. Pistachios – They aren’t organic, but Thomas LOVES pistachios and his parents always buy these ones. I think it just makes him feel at home to have some pistachios around. The package is 3lbs for $21.99.
22. Organic Cashews – I rarely snack on nuts by themselves, because I’d much rather eat nut butter. That being said, cashews are probably my favorite ones. I also love to make recipes with cashews like cashew butter, cashew milk, and baked goods or energy bites! The jar is 2.5 lbs for $26.29.
23. Annie’s Organic Cheddar Bunnies – My mom used to buy these growing up and I LOVED them. I would not be opposed to having these around the house for a snack and I know Thomas loves them too. They’re basically like goldfish, but I like them better. There’s 36 packages in one box for $10.99.
24. Organic Tortilla Chips – We haven’t tried these, but definitely will. The bag is huge and would be great for feeding a lot of people or keeping tortilla around, which I always love to have. You never know when you’ll need it! The bag is 40 oz for $5.99.
25. Simple Mills Sea Salt Crackers – These are surprisingly so good. I’m usually into products that are made with their regular ingredients instead of a substitute, but sometimes it’s fun to change it up. Also, very impressed by how good these actually taste! There are 2 packages inside, 8.5 oz each, for $10.99.
26. Organic Pretzel Chips – I love pretzels, especially dipped in hummus or peanut butter. I love that they have these in organic now, we’ll definitely grab these next time! The bag is 28 oz for $8.49.
27. Bonne Maman Fruit Preserves – When it comes to jam, we typically get Crofter’s Organic Jam. I’ve had this one plenty of times and it is DELISH. Another great option! The jar is 26 oz $7.39.
28. Organic Peanut Butter – I’m definitely nut butter obsessed if you guys haven’t noticed. My favorite brands are Wild Friends, Teddie’s Peanut Butter, Georgia Grinders, and Justin’s, but this would be great for those who want a lot or are a feeding a family. Also, great if you bake with peanut butter a lot, which sometimes I do so these would be very convenient! There are 2 jars that are both 28oz for a total of $12.19.
29. Late July Multigrain Tortilla Chips – Another great tortilla chip to try! I love Late July products so I can only imagine that these are great. They also have chia, quinoa, millet, amaranth, and flax so definitely some added goods! The bag is 28oz for $7.99.
30. Sunny Fruit Organic Figs – I LOVE figs, I grew up eating so many. My mom used to pack me figs and dates in my high school lunches and my friends thought I was crazy. They’re one of my favorites, but since I have so many dates, I’m going to wait to get the figs for next time! The bag is 2.5 lbs for $12.79.
31. Organic Maple Syrup – Maple syrup is a food group in my family. My mom used to have maple syrup gallons shipped in from Pennsylvania. THE BEST. But I’ve had this Kirkland organic one too and it’s great. It’s 1 liter for $13.49.
32. Kirkland Organic Quinoa – We go through phases of quinoa. Sometimes we love it, and other times we’re all about some rice instead. Recently I’ve been loving quinoa but we have lots at home so when we run out we’ll grab one of these. The bag is 4.5 lbs for $11.59.
33. Garofalo Organic Pasta – Thomas is Italian, I love pasta, and this combination of different shapes looks amazing! Casarecce, Gemelli, and Penne Ziti Rigate. It also comes with 6 bags, 2 of each shape, and each bag is 17.6 oz for $11.59 total. We’re definitely getting this next time.
34. Annie’s Mac & Cheese – I prefer making my own homemade mac&cheese, but Thomas and I both also love Annie’s. One of my favorite easy dinners is Annie’s mac&cheese, chicken sausage, and roasted broccoli. So easy & so good. This is a 12 pack of 6 oz boxes for $15.89.
35. Chosen Foods Avocado Oil – We already use this and it’s our favorite oil to cook with. You can cook up to 500 degrees with this oil so it’s the best for when we’re using our cast iron skillet or roasting veggies at a high temperature. The bottle is 1 liter for $12.19.
36. Kirkland Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – I don’t use coconut oil as much as I used to. I mostly use grass-fed butter, ghee, avocado oil, and olive oil. That being said, coconut oil can be used for SO MANY THINGS. W currently have some but when we run out we’ll stock up and maybe I’ll use it more! The jar is 84oz for $20.79.
37. Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayo – Not really mayo fans over here, but something about them made with avocado oil makes us feel better. So that’s what we tend to use with our tuna salads!
38. Kirkland Organic Pine Nuts – We never buy pine nuts, they’re also so expensive. But I want to start making some homemade pesto this summer so this would be perfect to have for that and to sprinkle of plenty of different dishes. It’s a 24 oz bag for $24.39.
39. Birchbenders Paleo Pancake Mix – Birchbenders makes some great pancake mixes. They have all sorts of kinds but these paleo ones are pretty tasty too! Thomas likes blueberry pancakes and I don’t make them for him enough so this could be convenient for that. It’s a 42oz bag for $14.29.
40. Kerrygold Butter – Our favorite butter hands down. We’re stocked up, but so happy they sell it at Costco, because we go through it SO FAST. It comes with 3 8oz stickers of butter for $10.99.
41. GT’s Gingerade Kombucha – This is our favorite GT’s flavor (we also love the trilogy), and we also go through kombucha phases. I feel like we rarely buy it these days, but I’d drink it if we had some stocked up. It’s 1 lb of bottles (not actually sure how many are in there) for $17.69.
42. Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese – These cheese is SO GOOD. I tried it not long ago and I love it, especially with some crackers. We have a bunch of cheese, but next time, this WILL be in my cart. It’s $7.19/lb.
43. Organic Baby Carrots – Both of us love carrots so much. For dipping in hummus, for just snacking on, putting on dishes, cooking with, everything. I typically like whole carrots, but sometimes having the baby ones are fun! The bag is 5lbs of carrots for $7.99.
A few other things we bought that I didn’t take photos of: toilet paper, paper towels, venus razors for me, and glass tupperware!
Hopefully that was helpful for anyone interested! We definitely had a lot of fun exploring the store and checking out all the options!